Mt. Pisgah

Lutheran Church


9379 Hwy 127 North

Hickory, NC  28601

(Bethlehem Community)

Phone:  828-495-8251

Fax:  828-495-8252


Worship:  8:00 and 10:30 am

(Nursery provided)

Sunday School:  9:15 am

(For all ages)


Church email

 secretary@mtpisgahelca.org


Webmaster email

slgreene13@gmail.com

 


Follow Us On

 

Instagram

mtpisgahelca

 

Events

 

Sunday, November 18th

Thanksgiving Feast & Worship

Dinner 5:15 Worship 6:30 pm

 

Saturday, December 1st

Bethlehem Star Lighting

6:30 PM Dinner

 7:00 PM Star Lighting


Sunday, December 2nd

Deacon Consecration

One service at 10:00 am

Bishop Tim Smith preaching

 

Sunday, December 9th

Mt. Pisgah Choir Cantata

8:00 and 10:30 am 

 

Sunday, December 9th

LRU Candlelight Concert 

7:00-8:30 pm

 

Sunday, December 16th

Children's Christmas Program 

8:00 and 10:30 am

 

Monday, December 24th

Christmas Eve Worship

5:00 and 7:00 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

************* 

 

 

 

 

 

Our Pastors 


2002Present--Rev. Michael Conrad Stone—Pastor Mike Stone was called as Pastor in October 2002. Graduated from Miami University of Ohio (1980) and Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio (1985).  Prior to coming to Mt. Pisgah he served at Trinity Lutheran, Titusville, Florida from 1986-1992 and St. John Lutheran, Winter Park, Florida.  He served at St. John as Associate Pastor from 1992-1997 and as Senior Pastor from 1997-2002.  Under Pastor Mike's leadership, Mt. Pisgah has grown in membership and completed two “Blessed to Be a Blessing” campaigns to expand/renovate the sanctuary, fellowship hall, kitchen and food pantry, and to retire mortgage debt.

2002Rev. Dr. James Ray Stephenson—Pastor Jim Stevenson was called to guide the congregation as interim pastor from January 2002 until October 2002.

1990-2001Rev. Kenneth TonnesenPastor Ken Tonnesen served as pastor from January 1990 until December 2001. He had previously served at Grace Lutheran Church, Raleigh, NC. Pastor Ken was born in Elizabeth, NJ and graduated from Concordia College, Moorhead, MN (1960) and Luther Theological Seminary, St. Paul, MN (1964). Under Pastor Ken's leadership, the "Blessed to Be a Blessing" campaign resulted in the new Celebration Hall addition and sanctuary/narthex renovations.

1987-1989Rev. Timothy Charles Jordanwas called as an additional "team pastor" in May 1987. Prior to the call, Pastor Tim served as an intern at Mt. Pisgah during his seminary studies.  Following Pastor Browder's resignation in 1988, he served as sole pastor until 1989.

1971-1988Rev. Richard Allen Browderwas called as the first full-time pastor on July 15, 1971, just after his graduation from Capital Seminary, Columbus, Ohio.  During Pastor Browder's pastorate, membership increased and the church facilities were expanded.  During his ministry, the congregation became better organized and effective.

1967-1971Pastor Norman M. Nilsena 1967 graduate of Evangelical Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, OH, he accepted the call to succeed Pastor Lautenschlager to what was then called the Alexander County Lutheran Parish of the American Lutheran Church. He served both Mt. Pisgah and St. Luke until May 1971, when he opted to remain at St. Luke's at while Mt. Pisgah would call its own pastor. 

1955-1967Rev Paul E. Lautenschlagerwas pastor of Mt. Pisgah-St. Luke Parish of the American Lutheran Church. He was ordained into the ministry July 15, 1928 and served in West Virginia, Maryland and Ohio. During his pastorate at Mt. Pisgah- St. Luke organs were placed in both churches and both were extensively remodeled.

1951-1953Rev. Bernard E. Walckgraduated from Capital University (1946) and Capital Seminary (1949), Columbus, Ohio.  Prior to coming to the Taylorsville, North Carolina Parish (St. Luke and Mt. Pisgah) he served Ridgway, Ontario, Canada. 

1949-1950Rev. O. A. Bertramserved congregations in Washington, Idaho and Michigan prior to coming to St Luke, Taylorsville and Mt. Pisgah.  He died on July 16, 1961.

1939-1949Rev. William Henry Toedtmangraduated from Capital University (1923), Capital Seminary (1927) of Columbus, Ohio and Princeton Seminary (1928). He received a Doctor of Divinity Degree fro Lenoir-Rhyne College in 1942. He was called Miller's Lutheran Church in 1932 and remained there until 1949.  He accepted an additional call to Mt. Pisgah in January 1939.  According to the congregational meeting minutes of that time, he was to be paid a salary of $125 per year and expected to hold at least two church services each month, and if possible, more services.

1932-1938Rev. Royal E. WaltherJuly 10, 1932 he was installed as Pastor of St. Paul’s, Pisgah and St. Luke’s Lutheran Churches in the Hickory/Taylorsville area. He served until 1938 when he took a full time call to St. Paul's, Hickory.  In 1943 he took a call to an Ohio congregation.

1931-1932Rev. Lawrence A. Millerthe commemorative bulletin for the 125th anniversary service shows the name of "Rev. Miller" as the pastor for this period.  It is very likely that this was Lawrence Miller.  He was installed on August 3, 1928 as pastor to St Mark's, Claremont and St. Jon's Hickory.  He went on to serve at St. Mark's until his death in March 1959.  He also was supply pastor at St. Paul's, Hickory (and likely at Mt Pisgah) until the arrival of Pastor Walther.

1918-1923Rev L. H. Hurrelbrink

1915-1917Rev. G. A. Derhammer

1914-1915Rev. Janes E. Barba 25 year old man from Morristown, Tennessee, graduated in 1898 from the Practical Seminary with honors and was ordained as pastor of Miller's, St. Luke's and Pisgah Lutheran Churches. Because the churches he served were in such dire financial distress, Rev. Barb also taught in the Hickory City Schools and was a land surveyor. He was the major surveyor for most of what is now downtown Hickory.  He died on Dec. 23, 1931. 

1910-1914Rev. Otis C. Propstwas a graduate of St. Paul's seminary, Hickory in 1910.  He accepted a call to St. Luke and Pisgah and served through 1912 when he moved to Virginia.  He returned periodically until 1914 and conducted services whenever he was in Alexander County.

1908-1910Rev. R. M. CarpenterRebertus Melanchthon "Burt" Carpenter was born December 28, 1877 in Lincoln County.  He received his training at St. Paul's Practical Seminary in Hickory. He graduated and was ordained in 1897.  He served churches in West Virginia from 1897-1907 and in Alexander and Catawba counties from 1907-1916.

1905-1907Rev. S. H. Puffenbargerwas born in West Virginia in 1874 but little else is known about him.  He served as Pastor at new Hope Lutheran Church, Minnehaha Springs, West Virginia from 1900-1904 prior to serving Pisgah.

1900-1904Rev. C D Beshwas a graduate of St. Paul's seminary in Hickory in 1893.  He served at Miller's, Pisgah and St. Luke. 

1898-1900Rev. H. K. G. Doermann was a professor at the seminary in Hickory. He was supply pastor to St. John’s and St. Marks from March to August 1895

1892-1898Rev. Luther M. Huntthe son of Rev. George Hunt above took a joint call from St. John's, Old St. Paul's and Miller's congregations in Hickory.

1891-1892Rev. Davidson C. Huffmanwas born June 29, 1853 in Catawba County.  He was educated at Rutherford College and later studied medicine.  He never had a regular pastorate, but was the founder of Mt. Olive Lutheran Church, Hickory (1885) and St. Timothy Lutheran (1887) and served those congregations and other churches including Pisgah.  About 1881 he began the practice of medicine in Catawba County.  He died May 14, 1898 at the age of 45.

1886-1891Rev. MillerThis citation to "Pastor Miller" appears in the 125th anniversary booklet, but no further information is known

1866-1886Rev. George Luther Huntcame to Lincoln County, North Carolina to study for the ministry under Rev. Miller.  After ordination served churches in Lincoln County.  His name appears as an interim pastor along with Pastor Adam Miller.  He was known to have traveled through the many mountain settlements of western North Carolina on the back of an old black mule named "Coaly".  He died Nov. 11, 1910.

1859-1866Rev. Adam Milleris believed to be the first pastor. He was ordained Deacon, 1825 and Pastor 1826 by Tennessee Synod. He had 15 pastoral calls in North Carolina: Grace, St. John, St. Paul, and St. Stephen in Catawba County; Daniel's, Emmanuel, St. Luke, St. Paul, and Trinity in Lincoln County; Antioch and Bethel in Gaston County; Morning Star in Mecklenburg County; Mt. Moriah in Rowan County; Friendship in Alexander County. (It is probably during this period that he served Pisgah.) He died February 13, 1868 and is buried in Old St. Paul’s Church Cemetery near Newton.