Mt. Pisgah

Lutheran Church


9379 Hwy 127 North

Hickory, NC  28601

(Bethlehem Community)

Phone:  828-495-8251

Fax:  828-495-8252


Worship:  8:00 and 10:30 am

(Nursery provided)

Sunday School:  9:15 am

(For all ages)


Church email

 secretary@mtpisgahelca.org


Webmaster email

slgreene13@gmail.com

 


Follow Us On

 

Instagram

mtpisgahelca

 

Events

 

Sunday, November 18th

Thanksgiving Feast & Worship

Dinner 5:15 Worship 6:30 pm

 

Saturday, December 1st

Bethlehem Star Lighting

6:30 PM Dinner

 7:00 PM Star Lighting


Sunday, December 2nd

Deacon Consecration

One service at 10:00 am

Bishop Tim Smith preaching

 

Sunday, December 9th

Mt. Pisgah Choir Cantata

8:00 and 10:30 am 

 

Sunday, December 9th

LRU Candlelight Concert 

7:00-8:30 pm

 

Sunday, December 16th

Children's Christmas Program 

8:00 and 10:30 am

 

Monday, December 24th

Christmas Eve Worship

5:00 and 7:00 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

************* 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our History

A history of Mt. Pisgah Lutheran Church would not be complete without a brief summary of the events which brought many German (Evangelishe) Lutherans from the old country to the United States and then their subsequent migration from the east coast to the Catawba River valley.

On August 21, 1859 Abraham Bolick gave one acre of land where the old Pisgah Cemetery is now located. This land was to be used by all true believers in Christ and also school services.

The first building to be erected was a school building in which both school was taught, and religious services were held. It was constructed of logs, but some time later the Lutherans and Methodists of the community joined together and erected a church building.

The Lutherans and the Methodists used the building on alternate Sundays until around 1906 when the Methodists decided not to use the building any longer.

This original building was used until March 3, 1933 when it was destroyed by a fire. Shiloh Lutheran Church offered their temple for services to Pisgah Lutheran Church until Pisgah could rebuild. The offer was gratefully accepted.

The congregation of Pisgah decided to build their new church north of Wittenberg's store on Highway 96, which is now Highway 127 North. The ground was donated by Partee Bolick and the church was mostly built by the congregation. On September 9, 1934, the congregation held its first worship in the new church, even though it wasn't completed on the interior.

On October 14, 1934, a meeting was called and unanimous agreement was reached to change the name of the congregation from Pisgah Lutheran to Mount Pisgah Lutheran. The dedication services were held at 2:30P.M. on May 12, 1935. Dr. W.E. Schuette gave the dedicatory address.

The church was remodeled in 1943 when the basement rooms and side wings were added. Additional remodeling was begun in 1954 and an organ was purchased. Much of this remodeling was done by Pastor Paul E. Lautenschlager.

Early in 1967 the Highway Department of North Carolina informed the congregation that a road was to be built through the church and we would have to move. The Church Council was given the authority to conduct this business on June 4, 1967.

The first order of business in the new building program was to secure land. On July 16, 1967, the congregation voted to buy land from Mr. and Mrs. Partee Bolick. On Sunday, August 6, 1967, the congregation elected to build a new church with greater seating capacity rather than use the old building.

Negotiations were begun to secure the services of a building contractor and to consider designs for the church. The contract was signed around the beginning of November and the Groundbreaking Service was held on November 5 with The Rev. Harold J. Hizer as Homilist and Pastor Nilsen as Liturgist.

The old building was used until July 28, 1968, and arrangements were made to hold services in the auditorium of the Bethlehem School beginning August 12. We held our services here until October 20, 1968, whereupon the pews had been installed in the new sanctuary and we began using our new facilities.

It was felt that a more meaningful day could not be found than Reformation Sunday, October 27, 1968, on which to hold the Service of Dedication for the new building.

 

Our Pastors